Coronavirus is a family of viruses that bring about intestinal and respiratory illness in animals and especially humans. The term “corona” has been given to them because of their crown-like spikes which are visible on the surface of the virus. The common cold, SARS ( severe acute respiratory syndrome) and MERS (Middle East respiratory syndrome) are the most common examples that usually cause the disease in humans.
From December 2019, the entire world has been wildly battling against a fresh strain of coronavirus famously known as COVID-19 which was for the first time reported in Wuhan, China and then moved on to spread throughout all the continents of the world causing a pandemic which killed millions of people worldwide. The SARS-CoV-2 (Severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2) is the virus to be blamed for the current situation of outbreak of the COVID-19 disease.
It is very important to have complete knowledge of the virus in these difficult times as well as have proper contacts of covid specialists in Kolkata to make sure that no individual is helpless when worst comes to worst.
What is a long COVID?
Acute Covid is when someone is suffering normally from the coronavirus but Long Covid is a term used when the patient happens to experience the symptoms of the virus for longer periods than usual after being infected by the virus.
According to the World Health Organization, it is possible for some people to experience a series of long-term effects on their body of COVID-19 irrespective of the fact that they require hospitalization or not. Some of the common long-term effects on the individual may include neurological symptoms, respiratory symptoms as well as fatigue.
There are two separate stages of what is addressed as the long covid:-
- Symptoms that last 4-12 weeks (Ongoing symptomatic)
- Symptoms that last over 12 weeks (post COVID-19 syndrome)
It is possible for Long Covid to severely affect your entire health and body and the symptoms can come and go over time as well as keep changing.
Symptoms of Long COVID
While most people suffering from COVID-19 recover in almost a few weeks, some patients are infected by mild variations of the disease and continue to experience the symptoms even after their initial recovery from the disease.
Older people with serious medical conditions are likely to experience these symptoms for the disease and can be a bothersome complication in most cases. some of the major visible symptoms are:
- Difficulty Breathing
- Joint & Muscle Pain
- Disruption In Concentration
- Chest Pain And Headaches
- Loss Of Taste
- Depression And Anxiety
- Mild Fever, and more.
Transmission and Prevention –
- The best way to Slow down the transmission of this deadly virus or prevent it at least is to have minute details of the virus so that one can protect themselves by all means. Some of the ways mentioned here is how the virus transmits from one person to another :-
- It is very likely for the virus to spread from a person’s mouth who is infected or by their nose in the form of small fluid particles when they are coughing, speaking, sneezing, breathing or singing. These fluid particles can be ranging between large respiratory droplets to smaller aerosols.
- One can get infected by the coronavirus if they come in close contact by the action of touching or shaking the hands with a person who has been infected and then touching their own face.
- The chances of getting the infection of the virus is also pretty high as it is considered possible if one touches a contaminated surface and then proceeds to touch their face, their mouth, their nose or their eyes before they have sanitised their hand.
Here are a few suggested ways by which an individual can make sure that they are doing everything in their power to protect themselves from the virus –
- Try staying as far away from others in the crowd as possible, at least 6 feet away is advised.
- Wear a three layered clothed mask that will cover the entire portion of your nose as well as your mouth whenever you are outdoors.
- Use a hand wash to wash your hands properly every time that you come back home from the outdoors and whenever you are outdoors use an alcohol-based sanitizer that will keep your hands clean for whenever you will be touching your face next.
- Isolate yourself immediately and remain in quarantine if you are feeling unwell and especially if you are sure you have been infected.
- Avoid crowded places as much as possible.
- Get yourself vaccinated if you are over the age of 18.
Treatment of COVID-19 with Dr. Amitabha Saha
A true expert in the field of Internal Medicine and Critical Care, Dr. Amitabha Saha is an amazing healthcare professional who can help you out with a varying range of conditions including COVID-19. He has been in the medical field for over 22 years and has the expertise required to give you the best covid treatment in Kolkata.
Even though a person suffering from the coronavirus can be treated at home, it is only possible and suggested when they have very minimal and mild symptoms which do not seem very serious. But if someone is suffering from other severe symptoms it is always recommended to see the help of a medical professional who can give you the proper treatment and care that you require to get well. Therefore choosing the service of Dr. Amitabha Saha if you are suffering from COVID-19 is surely a good idea.